RICH CHOCOLATE ALMOND FROSTING (SUGAR-FREE, DAIRY-FREE, VEGAN, GLUTEN-FREE)

Can sweet cats compensate for mediocre photographs? 
When I posted on here the other day, I noticed that the Whole Life Nutrition Kitchen had posted a recipe for the "Accidental Chocolate Cake". The fact that the cake looked moist without looking overly dense despite the fact that it contained absolutely no flour intrigued me. I decided to give it a try and ignore the fact that I'm fairly sensitive to almonds, chocolate and eggs. I make these indulgences more often these days, and they are always delicious, and I tend to recover much more quickly from the adverse reactions than I used to.

I don't really care so much for baking these days. After two years of spending so much time in the kitchen, the more simple the preparation, the happier I am. So when I set about finding a good chocolate frosting recipe, I was disappointed by either the number of ingredients in most, or simply the fact that I didn't have the ingredients on hand. I decided to try making one myself with an avocado base, which I knew would make it deliciously creamy and thick. Avocado works great in dessert recipes, although I am very partial to ones where the avocado doesn't become warmed. I find that when warmed, the more savory flavor of the avocado peaks out a bit too much. So wait for your cake to cool before spreading on the frosting. Even better, chill it in the fridge for a bit. (I found that this tasted even better the following day, with both the cake and frosting chilled.) This would also be delicious sandwiched between macaroons, filled into a crust for a delicious mousse tart, a dip for fresh strawberries, or one of your favorite raw desserts.

If the cake recipe that I used doesn't appeal to you, here are some other options to consider:

If you are making a layer cake, double the frosting recipe.

Do you have a favorite gluten-free cake recipe?

CHOCOLATE ALMOND FROSTING

2 RIPE AVOCADOS, PITTED AND DICED
1/2 CUP RAW AGAVE NECTAR (Try maple syrup, coconut nectar or another favorite if you prefer)
1/4 CUP COCOA POWDER
1 TSP ALMOND EXTRACT
VANILLA TO TASTE (I used about 3/4 vanilla powder, though I'm not sure how that converts to extracts)
SEA SALT TO TASTE (optional)

PLACE ALL INGREDIENTS IN FOOD PROCESSOR, AND PROCESS UNTIL FULLY MIXED AND SMOOTH.


0 comments:

Post a Comment