NATURAL EPILEPSY TREATMENT OPTIONS

One of the most frustrating things for me about having seizures is the feeling that I am very limited in my holistic treatment options. For the first time in a long while, I have gladly surrendered to the medications prescribed to me by my neurologist, and though I haven't worked up to a dosage yet that can stop my seizures, I am already noticing a difference in my energy level, and feel optimistic. It is difficult, though, to deal with the fear of possibly losing health insurance in the future and losing my medication, or the possibility that eventually the effects of the medication will plateau, and I will have to begin the frightening process of accumulating more prescriptions to ensure a certain quality of life. It is not an option for me to continue to have seizures every day, multiple times a day, and to be so limited in my activities and mobility. But with all of the potential side-effects and concerns, I want to be sure that I do what I can to complement the treatments I receive from my doctors.

I find YouTube to be an excellent source for introductions into the various experiences of others with trying health problems, and introductions into the treatments that have worked for them. They are only this: introductions, and as with all information distributed on the internet, should be watched with a critical mind. But I find that they give me some sense of optimism. As far as natural treatments I have currently incorporated into my life, I try to drink a tea blend of skullcap and passionflower every day, and have begun energy work with a psychic medium per the recommendation from another person with epilepsy whose seizures stopped completely after energy work. I am planning on visiting a chiropractor as well, and hope that this will help.

Here are some of the videos that I've watched that I've found compelling and informative. Perhaps they will help you, as well.


This is an excellent overview of natural treatment options. I was pleasantly surprised to find that their knowledge of research into more rare forms of epilepsy is quite impressive, and even more thorough than many neurologists. I had to be referred to a highly specialized neurologist, in fact, to be able to work with someone who was actually aware of the hormonal-related forms.

The two other ladies that I know with epilepsy also do their best to avoid gluten. I have been on a gluten-free diet for at least two years now. I wonder how much worse the seizures would be if I was still eating it?

This is where I learned about skullcap and passionflower's beneficial impact on epilepsy, although this video is specifically about a form of epilepsy that I am not familiar with.

If you look up "epilepsy chiropractor" on YouTube, a ton of results come up with testimonials like this. I'm very curious to see if I have any results from it.

And the ever controversial issue of epilepsy and medical marijuana. There are so many stories out there like this young man's. I, unfortunately, do not respond well to smoking any sort of substance, as it really fires of my nervous system regardless of the substance, but if I am able to get my hands on a tincture, I will eagerly try it. From what I've read, it is important to have the Indica (sp?) strain rather than the Sativa when it comes to treating epilepsy.

As noted in the first video, neither these people, nor I, am advocating weening off of meds. Epilepsy is a serious disorder, and should be treated appropriately. What is important, though, is to find the highest quality of life possible, and if any of these options aid that, then they are worth a go in my mind. 

Have you had any experiences with these treatments, or any others?

2 comments:

williamsmarkseo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
GLOW said...

I'm really happy to hear that you've found relief! It feels almost miraculous when you are accustomed to such a low quality of life and start to feel improvements. Since this post, I have built up to 500mg of generic Lamictal. I've had incredible improvements. I'm still having enough seizures, though, that I can't work and am often too tired to do much. I continue to hope!

I hope that you continue to have your epilepsy under control! Thank you so much for commenting with your own experiences with treatment.

Post a Comment