THIS WEEK'S HERBAL TEA BLEND ~ DETOX


After spending two days in the darkroom this week playing with chemistry, I found myself with a strong headache and a feeling of uncertainty as to whether or not I might remain on my feet. I meant to make this blend last night before going to bed, but didn't have the energy for it before falling into bed and passing out for 12 hours. I woke up without the headache, but still a bit light-headed, so I grabbed my bin of herbs and my herb guide, and brewed some detox tea. I've been brewing my teas in the french press lately rather than in a pot, as it requires less attention.

DETOX TEA*
1 TSP SHEEP SORREL
1/2 TSP BURDOCK ROOT
1/2 TSP SKULLCAP
1/2 TSP MEADOWSWEET
1/4 TSP MUGWORT
1 ANISE STAR (OPTIONAL)

FILL FRENCH PRESS WITH WATER, AND POUR INTO KETTLE TO BOIL. POUR HERBS IN THE PITCHER, AND ONCE WATER IS BOILING, POUR WATER INTO THE PITCHER. COVER TO STEEP, BUT DO NOT PUSH DOWN STRAINER UNTIL DONE. AFTER ABOUT A 5 MINUTE STEEP, PUSH DOWN STRAINER AND SERVE.

ABOUT THESE HERBS:

SHEEP SORREL: A strong detoxifying herb, most commonly known in herbalism as part of the Essiac anti-cancer tea blend. It helps to cleanse the liver, bring oxygen to the blood, reduce inflammation and maintain a healthy nervous system. I feel a great relief from a number of my symptoms after consuming this herb.

BURDOCK ROOT: Aids in purifying the liver and kidney, neutralizing and eliminating poisons, promotes digestion, and is a diuretic. If you have fructose malabsorption, you typically should avoid burdock, but in small doses like this it may be tolerable.

SKULLCAP: Soothes the nervous system and is a diuretic.

MEADOWSWEET: Diaphoretic and diuretic, it helps to purify the kidney and liver, and also soothes the nervous system.

MUGWORT: Aids in the production and secretion of bile, mild purgative, helps to purify the kidney and liver, diuretic. Also known as the "dream herb". (The addition of Mugwort into this blend might not have been the wisest decision given my altered state, but I thought it's benefits trumped that concern.)

There are many books and online guides that further elaborate on the benefits of these herbs. I most frequently reference this book. I also find helpful information online here and here, to name only two. 

*Please remember that I am not a certified herbalist, and so I am only sharing recipes that have helped me in my own healing. Herbs are potent medicine, and can react differently with each individual. Listen to your own body, and consult a professional if you are able. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment