HAPPY NEW YEAR & A DILL CHICKPEA SPREAD RECIPE

BACKYARD FIREWORKS AT MIDNIGHT, FOOTPRINTS IN THE SNOW, A LITTLE BIT OF NEW YEAR'S MAGIC BEFORE HURRYING INSIDE FOR WARMTH
I hope all of you survived the holiday season, and have found yourselves entering the new year with renewed energy and hope for 2011. I'm a big fan of ushering in the new year with proper ceremony, which for me involves doing something out of the ordinary, something that joyfully represents a shift in energy and perspective. This year that entailed a trip to the country, to enjoy the company of some of my favorite people, who also happen to be some of my favorite artists. I felt so blessed to be in their company, and even more blessed that our wonderful host, Courtney, after studying my previously posted list of food restrictions, actually came up with wonderful dishes that I could eat to supplement the food that I brought with me from Boston. This was a first for me, and it was such a healing experience to be able to partake in everything on the table. I truly couldn't ask for a better way to enter into a new year. My only regret is that I didn't get better photographs of the tasty fare! (With the sun going down by 4:30 pm, winter in New England is not kind to food photographers.) Not pictured is my root vegetable lasagna, my pesto chickpea flatbread, and most regrettably, the amazing lavender lemonade that Courtney made for me which was, in my mind, far superior to the alcohol that I was passing on.
SEARED QUINOA & TEFF WITH PISTACHIOS & OLIVES, DILL-BRAISED & ROASTED FENNEL, ROOT VEGGIE CHIPS TO DIP IN A GARLIC-FREE GUACAMOLE, ALL BY COURTNEY
DIET, DESSERT & DOGS' RUTABAGA GRATIN, MODIFIED WITH FRESH ROSEMARY, TARRAGON, MARJORAM & THYME
This chickpea spread is dense, creamy and versatile, working as a dip, spread, and in my mind, even a faux-egg salad sandwich substitute. (It could surely be tweaked to satisfy that craving more appropriately, but the hint is there, and it's gratifying.) We spread it on Kim's Pumpkinseed Teff Bread, which I made for the evening, and in the days following, I used the leftover spread to make sandwiches with avocado and spinach, and used the rest as a generous dollop on top of a grilled breast of chicken with a spinach arugala salad, which was phenomenal. Try it and tell me what you think!

DILL CHICKPEA SPREAD

1 15 OZ CAN CHICKPEAS/GARBANZO BEANS
1/4 CUP TAHINI
1    TBS TOASTED SESAME OIL
1/2 TSP SEA SALT
1/4 TSP NUTMEG
1/8 TSP ALLSPICE
JUICE OF HALF A LEMON
LOTS 'O' FRESH DILL (I USED A FEW TBS, FOR SURE, BUT ADD TO YOUR OWN TASTE)

DRAIN CAN OF GARBANZO BEANS*, PUT BEANS IN FOOD PROCESSOR WITH REMAINING INGREDIENTS AND PUREE, ADDING MORE DILL AS DESIRED.

*I LIKE TO SAVE THE RESERVE IN A CONTAINER IN THE FRIDGE TO USE AS THE LIQUID IN MY CHICKPEA FLOUR OMELETS, WRAPS, ETC.

2 comments:

Ricki said...

I'm so glad you had such a great celebration--yay! And the food looks fantatic regardless of diet. Do you think there's any chance you could get/share the recipe for that quinoa/teff & olive dish? Sounds amazing.

GLOW said...

I will ask Courtney for it, and e-mail it to you if I can. I know that she typically prepares it with egg; it must be quite tasty that way!

Post a Comment