MON PETIT CHOU (GLUTEN-FREE, GRAIN-FREE, VEGAN)

WITH GROUND TOASTED SUNFLOWER SEEDS, FENNEL SEEDS, LEMON & FRESH BASIL
When I was younger, I was known to eat a bowl of cereal for every meal. That wasn't all I'd eat, but it was kind of an obligatory supplement to each meal. Remarkably, I seem to have graduated now to this meal, which I'm happy to say is a great deal more nutritious, though it is still admittedly ridiculous to eat it for every meal. It's hard to avoid sometimes, though, because it seems, at least for now, to be the perfect protein and calorie boost for me. It is one of the few dishes that actually give me a feeling of regeneration afterward. The vitamins and minerals packed into it are the reason, I'm sure. (Look here and here.) I enjoy this dish because I can wing it each time, and adjust the ingredients according to how much pain I'm in. If my arms aren't feeling up to prepping vegetables, I'll grab some frozen brussel sprouts out of the freezer, and either microwave, steam or saute them, but if time and nerves allow, I'll chop up some fresh sprouts instead. I am such a fan of brussel sprouts, and can completely understand why the French use their name, "petit chou", as a term of endearment. In my opinion, the only way to screw them up is to steam them until they're tasteless and soggy, or to pile unnecessary and uncomplimentary toppings and sauces on them. When sunflower seeds are toasted this way, they have a smoky flavor and scent that makes an excellent substitute for bacon bits. I love it when the simplest ingredients can satisfy cravings for old comfort foods like that. If you want to really help yourself out, toast and grind a bunch of seeds at once so that you can keep the meal on hand to sprinkle on veggies and salads whenever the mood strikes you. Here's what I use:

BRUSSEL SPROUTS (FRESH OR FROZEN)
RAW SUNFLOWER SEEDS
SEA SALT

OPTIONAL:
FENNEL SEED AND/OR GROUND FENNEL
FRESH BASIL
SQUEEZE OF LEMON

STEAMING QUARTERED SPROUTS, TOASTING THE SEEDS

COOK BRUSSEL SPROUTS AS DESIRED (SAUTE, STEAM, OR IF FROZEN, MICROWAVE COVERED WITH WATER.) TOAST SUNFLOWER SEEDS IN PAN, AND GRIND IN FOOD PROCESSOR OR COFFEE GRINDER AS DESIRED*. IF USING FENNEL SEED, GRIND WITH SUNFLOWER SEEDS. MIX TOGETHER, SEASON WITH SALT, BASIL & LEMON.

*You can also reverse this. Grind them first, then toast the powder in the pan.

0 comments:

Post a Comment